An intrusion detection system is essential for detecting threats and preventing vulnerability exploits.
After network mapping (enumeration and identification of network components), perform an attack on the network to test the intrusion detection system that was installed and configured.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- View “Intrusion Detection System (IDS) Lab – Installing Suricata” within the Video Playlist: Technology Implementation of Security Solutions, located in Class Resources.
- Install the Suricata software on Ubuntu. Configure its audit capabilities to monitor and analyze network traffic.
- Using GVM, implement an attack from Kali Linux to target Ubuntu.
- Provide screenshots of the Suricata installation steps and intrusion detection logs.
Write a 500- to 700-word lab report (to include all screenshots from Part 1) addressing the following:
- Summarize the issues encountered, lessons learned, and successes in a bullet point format.
- Describe the screenshots provided.
- Describe the methodologies used in network forensics. Include packet capture, deep packet inspection, and the analysis of protocols.
- Analyze and decipher network traffic, identify anomalous or malicious activity, and provide a summary of the effects on the system.
- Describe how analytic methodologies, both qualitative and quantitative, could leverage the IDS to predict and communicate network anomalies.
Make sure to support the report with at least 2 creditable resources other than the textbook.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are not required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite.