One of the cognitive changes older adults worry about and fear most is memory loss. Some older adults may assume that any memory loss means that they are developing dementia. However, some memory loss that occurs with aging is normal and can be managed by understanding why it occurs and using memory-training exercises to reduce its impact.
Use your module readings and the Argosy University online library resources to research memory training for older adults. Select an authoritative research article for use in this assignment.
Based on the article and one of the cognitive theories covered in your readings, design your own study that tests a program for memory training in older adults. In your paper include the following:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- An overview of the changes in memory abilities that occur with aging. This overview should include a description of the difference between normal memory loss that occurs with aging and memory loss that is due to dementia. Review at least one cognitive theory discussed in the readings.
- A summary of the research article you chose. The article should provide evidence in support of memory training programs for the elderly such as the one you are proposing.
- The hypothesis of your study.
- Described the methodology of the proposed study including the age range of the participants, and participant variables such as: 1) age, 2) gender, 3) level of education, 3) SES, 4) level of cognitive functioning, etc. Ethical considerations should also be discussed.
- The details of your memory training program, such as: 1) the specific aspects of memory loss your training would target, 2) how long the training sessions would last, and 3) the measurements you would use to determine whether your training resulted in significant improvement in memory.
- Your expected results.
- A discussion of whether you would expect any differences based on individual variables such as gender, socio-economic status, level of education, race, ethnicity, etc. Provide reasons for your answer.
Your paper should include a title page with a running head, an abstract and a reference page. The body of the paper should be at least 5 pages in length. It should be double-spaced and in 12 point, Times New Roman font with normal one-inch margins, written in APA style, and free of typographical and grammatical errors.