By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Competency 1: Describe the historical development of the humanities from the pre-historic era to the present.
- Assess the role of narrative structure and dramatic form in modern drama.
- Competency 2: Examine the forms of expression that instantiate the arts and humanities.
- Explain how Shakespeare’s Hamlet externalizes the inner thoughts of Hamlet.
- Extrapolate the use of soliloquy to dramatize personal character.
- Competency 3: Integrate the humanities with everyday life.
- Express a unique personal narrative in soliloquy form.
- Competency 4: Communicate effectively in forms appropriate to the humanities.
- Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
Reading the text of Shakespeare’s Hamlet, you noticed the playwright’s use of extended monologues, or soliloquies, to express Hamlet’s thoughts and feelings in dramatic form. Now you will write an essay in which you explore the use of this technique in three distinct ways:
- Select one of Hamlet’s soliloquies from the play and analyze how it displays his inner thoughts for the audience in dramatic form.
- Compose a soliloquy using evidence from the play that expresses the point of view of one of the following characters: Gertrude, Claudius, Ophelia, or Polonius. Into which act of the play would you insert this additional speech?
- Write a soliloquy for yourself, expressing the central narrative of your own life in dramatic form. Think of yourself as a character explaining yourself to an audience that does not include those who play the most important roles in your life.
This assignment requires you to employ your critical skills in analyzing a work of literature, but also gives you the opportunity to apply what you have learned in creative expression of your own.
Refer to the Literature Analysis Scoring Guide to ensure that you meet the grading criteria for this assignment.
You are required to submit your assignment to the Turnitin source matching tool.
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.
- Written communication: Written communication should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Your paper should be formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
- Length: 6–8 typed and double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.