Minimum of 1000 words, NO plagarism .Turnitin check will be done.
Science is the study of how the universe works using the scientific method as a framework for asking questions. Throughout history, humans have built up a body of scientific knowledge and have used this knowledge to develop technologies to make life easier or to broaden their knowledge. Scientific discovery drives technological advances and sometimes, as new technologies are developed, they enable scientists to answer questions that were unanswerable before. For example, researchers had to understand the physics of visible light and how it changes when going through different substances before they could use this knowledge to design microscopes. Once microscope technology was developed, it allowed scientists to ask questions about things that were not visible to the human eye. For this assignment you will look at this interdependence between science and technology by learning more about a biotechnology that is crucial to the modern world such as feeding a growing world population, fighting disease, developing new fuels, or cleaning up the environment.
To learn more about biotechnology, review the assigned readings in your textbook for this unit and review the following resources:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Select one specific biotechnology that you are interested in learning more about. It can be a broad category such as one type of cloning, or more focused such as a specific product or diagnostic test. For your selected biotechnology address the following:
- Explain the difference between science and technology.
- What biotechnology did you select? Explain what it is and how it is used.
- Identify and describe two scientific discoveries that had to take place before your selected biotechnology could be developed (e.g., before cell phones could be developed, many scientific discoveries had to be made and be understood including electricity, electromagnetic waves, and the electrochemistry of batteries). When and how did the discoveries that you described take place?
- Identify and describe two technologies that had to exist before your selected biotechnology could be developed (e.g., before cell phones could be developed, many technological advances had to occur first including batteries, electric circuit boards, receivers, speakers, and satellites). How long have the technologies that you described existed?
- Scientific discovery provides society with knowledge. It is up to society to decide what to do with that knowledge by pursuing some technologies and by refusing to develop others. Identify and discuss two positives and two negatives of biotechnological advances. Are there any biotechnologies that you think should not be pursued? Explain your answer.
Basic Writing Expectations:
- At least 1000 words not counting the title or reference pages.
- Include a title page, double space, font size 10 or 12.
- Use a minimum of five sources (with at least one from the KU library).
- Include a highly developed viewpoint/thesis, purpose, and exceptional content.
- Free of grammar, spelling and punctuation errors.
- No evidence of plagiarism.
- Use the APA style for all citations.
- Be original and insightful with no more than 10% taken verbatim from any outside sources.
Science and Technology
Performance Elements Points Category Criteria Expectation Earned Possible Project Requirements Define terms Explains the difference between science and technology. 10 Select a biotechnology Identifies and describes a biotechnology. 15 Scientific discovery Identifies and describes two scientific discoveries that needed to take place before the biotechnology could be developed. 15 Technological advances Identifies and describes two technologies that needed to exist before the biotechnology could be developed. 15 Analyzing the pros and cons of biotechnology Identifies and discusses two positives and two negatives of biotechnological advances. Discusses any limitations that should be put on advances in biotechnology 15 Organization, logic, details Communication shows order, logic, and unification (4 pts); includes an introduction (3 pts), transitions throughout and a summative conclusion (3 pts), demonstrating a clear understanding of target concepts. 10 Writing Mechanics Length Requirement Length requirement met (1000 words minimum) 3 Spelling/ Grammar Free of any spelling/grammatical/ word choice errors 2 APA style references Follows APA style for parenthetical/in-text citations and reference page and includes a minimum of 5 sources. Sources are scientifically valid (i.e., no Wikipedia). 3 APA format The body of the paper follows APA formatting guidelines including title page, spacing, font size, paragraph style and margins. 2 TOTAL POINTS 90