On July 29, 2020 the CEOs of four leading technology companies (Jeff Bezos/Amazon, Tim Cook/Apple, Sundar
Pichai/Alphabet-Google, Mark Zuckerberg/Facebook) testified before the US Congressional House Subcommittee
on Anti-Trust, Commercial, and Administrative Law.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
The hearing focused on the ethical/legal/regulatory issues surrounding these companies, whose accumulation of
commercial, financial, and technological assets has heightened concerns over the power of “Big Tech”:
Subsequent to the summer 2020 hearing, the U.S. Justice Department launched an anti-trust case against Google,
charging that company with illegal exploitation of its market power. The Google case signals the prospect of
federal anti-trust suits against other Big Tech companies.
Your assignment is the following:
• Read the opening statements of the CEOs of your selected companies (statements attached below)• Critically evaluate the CEO statements from the lens of business ethics
• Write an essay (total of 4-6 pages, double-spaced) addressing the following questions:
- – Are these companies exercising their power in responsible ways? Why or why not?
- – On balance, do these companies play a positive role in society? Why or why not?
- – In your view, what is the appropriate role of government regulation of Big Tech?
Essays will be graded according to the following criteria:
- Ability to formulate a clear and coherent argument
- Use of course readings, lectures, videos, and class discussions to support the argument
- Clarity of structure and organization
- Quality of grammar and prose